Saturday, May 29, 2010

American Express Reducing Credit Limits By Thousands Of Dollars Without Warning

By: Danielle B

If only I had known about this sooner. I am supposed to photograph a close friend's wedding in Boston on August 1st. I decided to pay down my American Express so I could buy the airfare and use some of the credit for my week-long trip. The sad result of this policy Amex is implementing: I bought the airplane ticket, the credit line was reduced, and now I have no way of paying for my hotel accommodation or meals while there.

The backlash: I called JetBlue to discuss a refund on a non-refundable ticket. The rest is history. Now I have a $1236
JetBlue credit for the tickets that were going to get my family to our delightful annual vacation in Boston, and no trip to Boston. Obviously, I had to call my friend and let her know what was going on.

This is more than disappointing. I have been an Amex card holder since the 1990s and for my credit line to be lowered thousands of dollars without warning or notice of any kind was a huge slap in the face. Needless to say, anytime I'm standing at a register with a moment to spare (the people in line must thing I'm crazy), I turn around and ask the person behind me if they use an Amex card so I can tell them what happened to me. Then I refer them to the Internet to read up and make sure they are choosing their creditors wisely.

Surely this is going to end up in a class-action suit. What if I had a dying family member I needed to get to or, worse yet, those funds were something I really needed for my children's purposes? Nevermind our credit scores; I can think of a number of scenarios where having a long-time-available credit limit adjusted by several thousand dollars could have life-altering consequences. I'm sorry for whoever that happens to...

No comments:

Post a Comment