Sunday, May 30, 2010

"Customer service" is a misnomer

By: 0007

I am writing to inform you of my recent experience with your business partner American Express. It is very sad to see Costco, the pinnacle of customer service and customer loyalty, partnering up with a company that has a corporate culture which has no respect for its customer base and considers them totally replaceable.

They do not understand the concept of customer service and have no insight to blatant flaws in their system processes.

Briefly

I changed my autopay banking info on line in a timely manner, clearly documented, however Amex continued to bill/debit my old bank account. The old bank account did not have sufficient funds so they immediately cancelled my card. No discussion with me, a 7 year old customer, credit score of 750+ who always pay his balance in full. I call to discuss and request reactivation, Impossible...automatic hold on card for 7 days, I request direct debits to the old account be stopped since I incur a $30 fee for each attempt since there was no money in that account. Impossible...I would have to pay those charges( my bank has no authority by Federal law to stop direct debits...they must be stopped by the sender!). I asked to pay off my AMEX account in full from the new bank account ...yes you guessed it ..Impossible!I was told I can only make a payment from the old account... I ask the logic behind that..."sir that is all I can offer you"

Three hours later I reached someone who would accept $5700 payment to bring a zero balance to my account. Unfortunately that still did not stop the two subsequent direct debits to my account and a total of $90 in insufficient fees charged by my old bank account.

I asked Amex customer service to to reimburse me for those charges... 5 hours later....Impossible. It was all my fault...I ask why was it my fault?

I obviously did not update Autopay in a timely fashion was the Amex reason.

I updated on April 19th 2009 which was well within the 4 days required prior to the future debit schedueled on MAy 5th 2009.

So now is it still my fault...even when I asked Amex to stop debits an May 7th...which would have saved at least $60 in bank fees.

Amex response was go to our bank... to which I asked...and what should I do when I go to the bank.

Amex response...We cannot advise you what to do..


I had my Amex card cancelled for a week which was a major inconvenience for my corporation, I was insulted by Amex customer "service" supervisors, I incurred $90 in bank fees despite doing everything I was supposed to do in a timely manner. AMEX also decided to charge me $38 in interest and late fees for good measure...why not he' s got the cash and we are hurting for it so screw him while we can....the AMEX motto I believe.

AMEX sucks big time. It is a disgrace that Costco has got into bed with these thieves. Your customers desrve better and Costco name should not be seen next to Amex.

Attached is a further sampling Amex customer relation experiences. I urge Costco to review this matter for its customer sake and renegotiate a credit facility with a corporation with a culture more aligned to Costco

http://www.my3cents.com/companyReview.cgi?compid=235&subcat=6

I appreciate you taking the time to consider this experience

Sincerly

No comments:

Post a Comment