Sunday, May 30, 2010

Make Sure To Get You Rewards Points If They Cancel Your Account!

By: hejsan

American Express canceled my Rewards Plus account a couple of weeks ago and seemingly zapped out my 51,000 rewards points (51,000 Delta miles or other possible rewards). I was really bummed until I read the following:

American Express Changes Membership Rewards Policy

By Kevin Gipson, New Orleans Consumer Attorney on Mar 31, 2009 in Credit Cards

American Express has announced a policy change regarding its Membership Rewards program.

The policy change permits a cardholder that is in good standing at the time that his card is cancelled to redeem his Membership Rewards points for up to 90 days following the cancellation of his card.

American Express did not define what the term good standing meant, but did state the change in policy was due to its recent decision to cancel the cards of members who were current on their payments but that were considered to be a credit risk.

Before this policy change, if an American Express card was cancelled for any reason, the Membership Reward points were lost.

American Express also announced its intention to honor cash-rebate cards.

If the customer has an outstanding balance on his account, then the cash-rebate will be applied to the balance.

If the balance is less than the cash-rebate, American Express will issue a check for the balance to the customer.

Finally, American Express said customers who had their cards canceled recently, but before the policy change, can contact American Express Membership Rewards customer service for a case by case decision on whether the customer will be permitted to redeem the points.

I called and they instantly credited my Delta Sky Miles account for 51,000 miles. So I'm satisfied - They can give or deny credit to me - it's their money - but they can't take away points/miles I've already earned.

That would be plain wrong. I'll take the miles and take my business elsewhere.

I just wanted to make sure anyone e4lse who has this happen makes sure to claim their miles with the rewards program asap!

No comments:

Post a Comment