Saturday, May 29, 2010

I smell class action suit coming - Who's in

By: bballen911

Looks like I am one in a long list of folks who got their credit limit instantly reduced for no logical reason, causing embarrasssment. Balance around 12,200 with credit limit of 15,000. I was using it exclusively (ie my other credit cards have zero balance) because it had intro offer of 0% APR for 14 months AND I got Points towards travel.

Last payment was 2200 a couple weeks ago, never been late have extremely low debt ratio and excellent credit. Never had this happen before. My wife happens to mention the Amex card got declined. I was like no way. Told her to call. They told her we were over our limit. I said thats a lie, cus I knew my limit and my balance. So, was busy Sat/Sun and called Monday. sure enough. the "nice lady" said they reduced my limit to 12200, effectively shutting off the card. They did it because they found something negative in my credit history and because my balances relative to credit limit were high. I mentioned that I have 2 cards with Bank of America with combined credit limit of about 37,000 and zero balance. hmmm, that doesn't sound to high to me...Lets see my only other debt is mortgage totaling 212k on a house worth 380k. NO OTHER DEBT. I told them to close the account immediately, and if they reported me to credit bureau as Over Limit I will sue them. She said they wouldn't but I will still double check. I also was an AMEX stockholder. There stock has been good to me but since I now hate them, I sold that stock (near their recent high, goody for me). I had my grand daughter do the honors and cut up the cards. AMEX is now on the short list of companies I will NEVER do business with again under any circumstances and I will be happy to tell all my friends and family about. If your wondering, the other one is ALLSTATE, but it a similar screw the customer story.

Oh, by the way, the nice AMEX lady said they called 4 times. I asked if they left a msg, she said it was automated and came back as either busy or no answer. but, she said they sent an email also. Which, when I looked as we were talking she was right. Unfortunately, I got none of this information BEFORE my family was impacted. I can only speculate as to why they did it. My guess is I was I had accumulated 58000 points (about $600 worth) AND was borrowing 12k at 0% APR. Essentially, I was beating them at their own game and with the economy turning, they couldn't bear it anymore. Its Ironic how fast this happened. I only got the card less than a year ago (and that little whatever it is on my credit rept didn't bother them, and my debt situation was identical and didn't bother them). What they did shows an utter lack of respect for their customers and put us in a very embarrasssing situation. PLEASE TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS THEY ARE UNETHICAL SCUMBAGS. IF THEY OWN A BUSINESS TELL THEM NOT TO ACCEPT AMEX. IF THEY LIKE TO INVEST TELL THEM NOT TO OWN AXP.

No comments:

Post a Comment