Sunday, May 23, 2010

Questionable Business Practices on Late Fees - Costco/AMEX card

By: Rkalkowski

I was surprised to find a $35 late fee on my last bill from AMEX. My bank showed the charge paid on the due date of the 10th,(paid via electronic banking) and when I called AMEX, their automated system said my last payment had been made on the 10th so I was confident I could get the $35 charge overturned, as I waited for the service representative Well, according to their records, the payment wasn't POSTED until the 14th even though the electronic payment was RECEIVED on the 10th! I couldn't get any joy from the representative or her supervisor, even though I've held this card for 8+ years.

And, oddly enough the previous month's payment was made in the same way, on the due date of the 10th without any late fees. It sounds like that if you don't make your payment at least 5 days prior to the due date, they have the option to hold the payment and hit you with a late fee. If it happens again, that card's headed for the shredder.

No comments:

Post a Comment